3D printers have remarkably improved the speed of prototyping of products or complex machine parts, which is a crucial part of any mechanical engineering industry.
Advantages 3D printers offer in mechanical engineering:
- This is the technology that is helping in bridging the distance between the virtual and physical and enabling the engineers to turn their designs into reality
- Engineers have the opportunity to objects with the most complex internal structures that would be almost impossible using traditional methods
- Eliminates the need to create specialized tooling, and the design can be easily altered
- The technology gives you the facility of optimizing material composition in products to improve lightness
- The 3D printing allows you to customize the product and make it adapt better to different atmospheric conditions, saving the expense of raw material
Traditional method Vs 3D printing
In traditional manufacturing, creating a tool involves a series of processes like forging, grinding, milling and assembly, along with the molds, jigs and fixtures. In contrast, 3D printing can create the same tool in a single operation, layer by layer without wasting expensive metals.